Joe Ruscigno started making fresh mozzarella when he was just 19 years old. He learned his special recipe when he first came to America while working at a local deli. Soon after, Joe decided to open his own place, Joe’s Italian Deli, and took his recipe with him.
Joe has been making homemade fresh mozzarella cheese for the store since he first opened the doors, 30 years ago. He has continued the tradition to this day, extending the mozzarella menu to include many different forms and types of the distinct cheese.
Our one-of-a-kind mozzarella, also known as “mozzarell” or “muzzi,” started as an Arthur Avenue neighborhood favorite but now is known throughout the area.
And while many things have changed since we first opened, the one thing that hasn’t changed is the freshness of our mozzarella. We proudly offer the following delightful, homemade mozzarella cheeses:
Use our homemade mozzarella for cooking, on sandwiches, as a table cheese, or as part of an antipasto dish. No matter how you use it, you will enjoy adding this time-honored cheese to your table.
- Fresh Mozzarella – Made more than 3 times daily!
- Bocconcini – Mozzarella tied into little knots that melt in your mouth!
- La Treccia – Yellow dry mozzarella, carefully stretched and twisted for a stronger flavor. This is a table cheese that will last longer than the fresh mozzarella.
- Scarmozza – Made for cooking and eating, ideal for Lasagna or Chicken Parmesean.
- Smoked Mozzarella – Smoked, creamy mozzarella flavor.